This area is well known for its quality local produce and regional dishes, including fresh, locally-caught seafood, regional wines and ales, and artisan breads, cakes & ice cream.
If you are keen to cook for yourselves at Lower Coombe Royal, you will find regular farmers markets and small delicatessens selling local produce in many of the small towns and villages, including Kingsbridge.
Alternatively for a special occasion why not let someone else do the hard work for you. Wild Artichokes can bring their seasonal feasts to you in the comfort of your own home.
If you would like to eat out, we have a wide selection of country pubs, local tearooms and fine dining options, all within a short walk or drive of Lower Coombe Royal.
Please note that it is generally advisable to book, as places do get busy over the weekends and in the school holidays. We would also recommend checking opening hours, as many pubs do not serve food all day.
Here is a list of some of our favourite eateries close by:
· Wild Artichokes, Kingsbridge- we would wholeheartedly recommend Wild Artichokes Pop Up Dining Events which are held regularly throughout the year. You will be treated to a delicious feast of seasonal dishes which are brought to your table to be passed around, shared and enjoyed. Booking is essential.
· The Old Bakery, Kingsbridge - Delicious tapas with a lovely atmosphere.
· The Crabshell Inn, Kingsbridge - A great gastro pub. A lovely location on the waters edge and great food, very family friendly. This is also a good place to do crabbing off of the wall, but not their jetty (best at high tide).
· The Maha Bharat, Kingsbridge - A great curry and very family friendly.
· The Seven Stars, Kingsbridge - Gastro pub near the quay. Nice food, good service, very accommodating for a large group at short notice.
· The Pantry, Kingsbridge- A really nice café with delicious food. I especially like their savoury cream tea.
· Mangetout, Kingsbridge- Delicatessen and café. Great breakfasts, lunches and often fish specials, which I would highly recommend. They also welcome dogs in the garden at the rear.
· La Ranchera, Kingsbridge- A wonderful Mexican restaurant. Fabulous atmosphere, friendly helpful staff and a delicious meal.
· Brittania @ The Beach, Beesands - enjoy fantastically fresh local seafood at the rustic shack at Beesands Beach. Or grab a takeaway and sit on the beach watching the waves crashing.
· The Journeys End, Ringmore - great Sunday roast, open all day at the weekend. Booking is essential.
· The Pilchard Inn, on Burgh Island, Bigbury - Nice for a drink or a light snack. You need to check tide times as it’s on Burgh Island, which is cut off at high tide. A tide timetable is available at Lower Coombe Royal for guests.
· The Oyster Shack, near Bigbury - Great for local seafood. If you access via Aveton Gifford, you need to check tide times as it is a tidal road. It can also be accessed via a different route.
· Beach House, South Milton Sands - This is a great little shack restaurant with fab food. Booking is recommended if you would like a table inside. There is a National Trust car park which is free for members.
· The Ship Inn, Noss Mayo - A lovely pub in a great setting with delicious food. It is great to combine with a walk along the estuary. Beware the pub car park is tidal!
· The Sloop Inn, Bantham - A nice pub with good food.
· Avon Mill Cafe- in the garden centre near Loddiswell. This is a fabulous cafe in the valley near the River Avon. The food is delicious and the setting peaceful. Great for a spot of shopping too.
· Aune Valley Farm Cafe- near Loddiswell. A cafe with a stunning view across the Avon Valley. The breakfasts are amazing. There is also an excellent farm shop with lots of local produce to enjoy.